University Library home page Architecture Library home page International Cultural Center Library Southwest Collection - Special Collections Library
Texas Tech University Libraries University Library home page Architecture Library home page International Cultural Center Library Southwest Collection - Special Collections Library Branch libraries navigation bar

Oral History Collection

SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE: Lee R. Graves discusses the efforts that have gone into the development of the Ranching Heritage Center at Texas Tech University.
MAIN ENTRY: Graves, Lee R.
DATE OF INTERVIEW: November 22, 1977
LOCATION OF INTERVIEW: Lubbock, Texas
INTERVIEWER: Susan Dickey
LENGTH OF INTERVIEW: 50 minutes
TAPE ONE, SIDE ONE: Lee Graves, background
Grandparents’ migration to West Texas (1879)
Ranch description
Southwest of Ozona, Texas
Pecos River
Unsettled

Indians
Still in family
Ranching Heritage Center
Background on name
Buildings
Originators
Dr. Curry and Fran Holden
John Lott
D. Burns
Jack Hampton
Early development
Role of Jerry Rogers
Hiring Graves
Background
Director
Experience at Fort Davis, Texas
Expectations
Graves’ philosophy on restoration
Attaining buildings
Blacksmith shop from Spade Ranch
Frank Chappell, benefactor
Character
Grandfather and background
Building’s background
Tract of land
Choosing buildings
Impact of Dr. Curry Holden
Planning
Attaining buildings (again)
Donated
Barton House

Mrs. Barton lived in house
Moving houses
W. K. Bigham and Sons, movers
Description and character
Barton House moving
Size and weight
Removing porch
Preparing fireplaces and chimneys for moving
Getting under house
Digging tunnels
Fireplaces (again)
Moving them intact

TAPE ONE, SIDE TWO Ranching Heritage Center (continued)
Barton House moving (continued)
Fireplaces (continued)
Cradling chimneys
Needle braces installed
Moving crew size
Men and women worked
Getting under house
I-beams inserted
Getting on truck
On the road
Power lines let down
Railroad service interrupted
Companies’ cooperation
Foundation
Las Escarbadas House
Two-story stone house
Foundation
Provision for heating and air conditioning
Will Robinson’s planning
Historical integrity of buildings
Interpretations based on historical documentation
Jowell House complex
Stone houses
From Palo Pinto County
German
Roof and shingles
Concern for replacement
Plans for the future
Spanish complex
Other buildings
Dedication on July 4, 1976
Work and repairs required
Wear and tear caused by visitors
RANGE DATES: 1879-1977
BULK DATES: 1970s

 

 

     
TTU
Search
Workstation Use Policy
Contact the Library
Support the Library
 
Go to Texas Records and Information Locator Service (TRAIL), a state agency search service at the Texas State Library Go to TexasOnline, the main web site of the State of Texas
 

Disability, Privacy and Accessibility Resources

Copyright © 2003 Texas Tech University Libraries
18th St. and Boston Ave., MS 40002
Lubbock, Texas 79409-0002
(806) 742-2261, Fax (806) 742-0737